Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Series Alert: Nodame Cantabile

I happened to stumble across this by pure accident. But it looks like Joo Won's next project is confirmed to be a remake of the 2006 Japanese drama Nodame Cantabile. This is another manga-turned-live-action drama about a group of aspiring, and somewhat quirky, musicians attending a music academy.

The Japanese episodes are available for viewing on YouTube, with English subtitles, for those that are interested in what we might be seeing come October, which is when the remake is scheduled to broadcast. Search for "Nodame Cantabile episodes" and it should be at the top of the results.

I am pretty excited about this drama for a few reasons. First, it bears some striking similarities to Beethoven's Virus, which is in my top 10 BEST EVER k-dramas. But it is different enough to feel fresh. Second, Joo Won (Good Doctor, Bridal Mask) is a versatile and talented actor that I feel confident can fill the role of Chiaki Shinichi without losing anything in translation. Third, the drama brings classical music to life in an era where it doesn't garner much attention. The j-drama devotes significant time just to the performances (I've had goosebumps a couple times) and I hope the k-drama remake will do the same.

There are some internet rumors that Yoona (Prime Minister & I, Love Rain) is being considered for the female lead, Nodame, and I am a bit on the fence with that casting choice. She's an okay actress with a musical background. The latter may trump the former for this project. But I have only seen her in roles where she's required to be cute and I wonder if she can channel the necessary awkwardness needed to capture the essence of Nodame. Just my opinion.

As I learn more, I'll update this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment