Thursday, March 27, 2014

Let's Eat


Summary: Let's Eat is a 2014 South Korean drama about foodies, random assaults, first love, and broken hearts. The story's central character is Lee Soo Kyung (Lee Soo Kyung), a 30 something divorcee working as a secretary in a law firm owned by Attorney Kim (Shim Hyung Tak). After the mysterious death of her next door neighbor, she connects with the other tenants on her floor played by Yoon Doo Joon and Yoon So Hee. These four main characters develop complicated relationships with one another that explore the ups and downs of friendship and falling in love.
+1/2 a heart for a shirtless Shim Hyung Tak
Recommendation: I went back and forth on whether or not I liked this drama. It's a slower paced series that sometimes feels more like a character study than a RomCom. But, the fact is, I tuned in religiously for new episodes each week when I've let others fall behind (i.e. Golden Rainbow). Lee Soo Kyung delivers a solid performance, as always, and I fell in love Shim Hyung Tak. Yes, his performance was a little hammy, but there was something endearing about it. I'm going to give this one a thumbs up and encourage other k-drama fans to give it a chance. The characters grow on you.

Off to the gun show with a six pack...
Other Thoughts: First, I want to say that I am a fan of Lee Soo Kyung. This is the 4th drama that I've seen where she has a major role and she continues to impress me. Let's Eat follows right on the heels of I Summon You, Gold and I think it was a nice transition from the super sexy and manipulative jewelry designer to the divorced secretary. To her credit, I didn't find myself contemplating if she was still playing the same role in a different setting.

I feel obligated to point out that Shim Hyung Tak has a scene in episode 7 where he takes off his shirt in a dressing room. For lack of a more eloquent way to say it, I'll just comment that the dude is ripped! Which way to the beach, Shim Hyung Tak?

It's worth noting that he was simultaneously filming the series Can We Love? with Eugene and Uhm Tae Woong.

The food. I can't write about Let's Eat without mentioning the food. I'm really curious if the cast gained a lot of weight because in each episode there were easily 2-3 scenes where they did nothing but eat. I'm not a big fan of seafood but this show made everything (except the marinated crabs) look delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment