Sunday, May 22, 2016

Series Alert: Scarlet Heart: Ryeo

I guess I don't have a format for these posts.

Let's just get to it! I have been unemployed for several months and this has provided me with a significant increase in free time to binge watch dramas. I certainly prefer k-dramas but I'm not exclusive. Taiwan, China, Japan, and several other countries all produce really great programs so I do venture out.

This time around I made a trip to C-Dramaland (China!) and I watched Scarlet Heart. The series is focused on a young woman that gets into an accident in the modern world and then wakes up to find herself transported hundreds of years into the past. She quickly realizes that has landed right in the middle of a story with which she is very familiar because she studied it in history class. Knowing the fates of all the major players, she has to carefully navigate around any situations in which her choices might change the past and, consequently, the future. Most of these situations revolve around the emperor's sons , 14 princes to be exact, and their fight to succeed their father as emperor of the nation. But as the story progresses and the years pass by, she begins to realize that her presence may have already been accounted for in the history books.

It is a long and epic journey that can be beautiful and heartbreaking. I really enjoyed it. Cecilia Liu, Nicky Wu, Kevin Cheng and all the other actors developed a phenomenal rapport with one another and depicted the politics between the brothers as something that could be savage and compassionate.

Needless to say, I was really startled when I stumbled across the news that Lee Joon Gi and IU would be staring in a k-drama re-make of this series - set to be broadcast on SBS at the end of August. I have confidence in Lee Joon Gi to capture the quiet brooding of the 4th Prince. But IU will have to work hard to meet the quality of Cecilia Lui's portrayal of the young time traveler.

It is difficult work adapting a series that has previously found success. As an audience member, I want all the great qualities of the original to be present but something that is just different enough to keep my attention. I'm excited!!

Let the countdown to August begin and I'll keep my fingers crossed that I am employed by then!

Share your thoughts!




No comments:

Post a Comment